Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Four things learned from a rough week

1. My sin is much and runs deep. It's not just stuff I do, but it's my heart itself. To be blatantly honest, I often think I'm smarter than everyone else and that somehow makes me better. Yeah, it's ugly.

2. My heart often turns religious. I start well- actions inspired out of his love for me. However, when I lose sight of the love, the actions become "the motions" and I am religious.

3. Faith in the gospel is the way out of both of these situations.
  • The gospel shows me why I must be humble- the only reason I am alright is nothing short of the God-man come down to rescue me. How could I boast about anything when my sin required Jesus Christ to die for Brett Ripley?
  • Religion is empty action. It happens as I forget about the things I need: God's love, grace, and forgiveness. When I forget about these things, life is average at best, drudgery at worst. But when I believe that there's a God who is here and who loves me and doesn't have an ounce of wrath for me, I am warmed up inside to go face a cold world with love and action rather than religion.


4. I must get out of the city regularly. I think straight when I'm calmed by open spaces.

3 comments:

Matthew Lunde said...

Brett, I don't think you are the only one with those thoughts. It is so easy for Christ to get away from us, especially when we are so busy; we just carry out the week, passing through the motions, not stopping to thank the Lord, contemplate what is actually happening, or where the Lord is taking us!

Talk soon Brett!

Matthew Lunde said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Muck said...

Philippians 3:7-14